The Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference has honored an Illinois Tech student-athlete approaching the end of her undergraduate education and one who is just beginning hers. Weronika Halicka (CHE 4th Year) was named Player of the Year in women’s tennis and Jamie Griggs (CE 1st Year) was named Freshman of the Year in women’s soccer.
“From the commencement of the team, Wera has been a leader, a teacher, and an anchor for our team,” says Erik Scanlan, women’s tennis head coach. “Her value on the court is trumped only by her value to the team in meetings, practices, and off-court team functions.”
Women’s soccer head coach Roshane Ellison noted that Griggs’s 15 goals and six assists for the season all contribute to a “very bright” future for the team.
“Jamie is one of many talented young players that will be making a great impact on our program going forward,” she says.
The NACC also honored the soccer and tennis teams as well as individual players with additional accolades:
- Madison Harris (ME/AE 3rd Year) and Katie Hoefgen (BME 4th Year) were named to the 1st Team All-NACC in soccer.
- Julia Honda (PSYC 1st Year), Kirsten Robinson (CE/ENVE 4th Year), and Julia Taliana (BME 2nd Year) were named to the 2nd Team All-NACC in soccer.
- Catherine Klemp (MMAE 1st Year) and Katherine Nishimoto (BME 4th Year) made the All-NACC Honorable Mention Team in soccer.
- In tennis, Morgan Colbert (ARCH 2nd Year) and Kylie Hance (APAN 1st Year) were named to the All-NACC Singles Team, with Colbert also attaining All-NACC Doubles Team status.
- In men’s soccer, Illinois Tech’s Luke Holzman (MMAE 2nd Year) and Peter Fouchet (MMAE 3rd Year) were named to the NACC Honorable Mention Team.